The best place to be for table top based wargaming in Dundee, Scotland! Come along and enjoy a tasty beer while playing your favourite games! 18's and over only!

HomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Narrative vs Beat Face

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kevin Christoforou
Club Official
Club Official
Kevin Christoforou

Narrative vs Beat Face Empty
PostSubject: Narrative vs Beat Face   Narrative vs Beat Face EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 3:15 pm

Whats more important to you in a game of 40k? Using the models you have lovingly collected on the table? Creating a story through narrative and scenarios? Testing a devious list designed to crush all? What do you think makes a good game?

Me, I used to be turned on by thinking of the list which I thought was most effective on the table and had the best chance of winning a game. Now I'm more in favour of using the models in my collection to play scenario based games, this lets me use units that are considered sub-par and enjoy the use of my collection in games where I don't have to think of victory as the primary concern.
Back to top Go down
kramanal
kramanal

PostSubject: Re: Narrative vs Beat Face   Narrative vs Beat Face EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 10:30 pm

I really like the best of both worlds, competitive narrative engagements, it takes a bit of planing the scenarios but is really worth the effort.
Back to top Go down
Steven Young
Admin
Admin
Steven Young

PostSubject: Re: Narrative vs Beat Face   Narrative vs Beat Face EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 12:01 pm

I'm definitely one of those players who prefers to create a narrative army.  I like the looks of units over there efficiency.  Although I struggle with Terminators...  but that's for another post entirely!

I don't mind building armies to counter other ones who have been dominating the scene for a while, but that's only as a challenge really.
Back to top Go down
Steve Devine
Steve Devine

PostSubject: Re: Narrative vs Beat Face   Narrative vs Beat Face EmptySun Feb 01, 2015 6:19 pm

Rule of cool for me! I'll tweak my lists a bit depending on who I'm going up against but I'm not really one for optimum list building. Mechanicum especially have a lot of really nice models, it'd be a shame to leave them on the shelf all the time just because they're not the absolute best choice.
Back to top Go down
James Hussey
James Hussey

PostSubject: Re: Narrative vs Beat Face   Narrative vs Beat Face EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 12:48 pm

I've showed up before to a friendly game and had someone look at my army list and codex and then build a list specifically to counter everything, not ever played against him since Wink I think if you want ultra competitive games it's best decided beforehand so that you can both take that approach.
Back to top Go down
Steven Young
Admin
Admin
Steven Young

PostSubject: Re: Narrative vs Beat Face   Narrative vs Beat Face EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 12:58 pm

Haha, I have a feeling I know who that is James.

I would never allow someone to see my list before they have theirs done now.  To be quite honest, I generally tell them they'll see what their up against when it lands on the table haha.
Back to top Go down
Andrew Mactavish
Andrew Mactavish

PostSubject: Re: Narrative vs Beat Face   Narrative vs Beat Face EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 5:21 pm

I like narrative lists that are able to be a little competitive. I tend to build lists that i find fun and well lots of tanks as i am a tread head.
Back to top Go down
david michie
david michie

PostSubject: Re: Narrative vs Beat Face   Narrative vs Beat Face EmptyMon Feb 02, 2015 6:16 pm

When I used to play 40k way back when I used to show up with round about 3-5 lists and either let my opponent pick blind or roll a dice for it.

For me it was all about trying out units that no one would use.  I regularly had armies that had no shooting whatever in them.  Fantasy battle on a 40k planet.  I also took Drago wing with 13 models in 1750 points to a tournament.  Yes it was fated as being a very hard build.

But when you have Draigo and 12 other models it really isint hard to loose a game.

For me it was all about fun.  When people ask what you have brought to a battle I used to say stuff..Made it harder for them to tailor a list.
However I dont play 40k anymore so my thoughts are do what you want and what makes you happy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Narrative vs Beat Face   Narrative vs Beat Face Empty

Back to top Go down

Narrative vs Beat Face
Page 1 of 1